[X4U] Upgrading HD - Applecare

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 30 16:48:51 PST 2005

On 30 Dec 2005, at 22:50, Linda wrote:

> On 12/30/05 4:20 PM, Samantha Cornell wrote:
>
>> Do I need to resign myself to paying $$$ to have a new HD installed,
>> or can I some how do it myself without voiding my Applecare.  I'd
>> love a loophole.

> Here's the thing: A hard disk (on most Macs) is a user-serviceable
> part.

Not on laptops.

> When my hard disk was replaced under AppleCare (G4 Quicksilver
> 800MP), Apple
> shipped it to me, I made the swap and returned the original disk to
> them.

The Quicksilver is a PowerMac tower - machines which are designed for
easy user-access for upgrades. Laptops are a different ball-game.

I don't know about the iBook, but I looked at the service manual for
the Powerbook before emailing it to Paul Miller earlier this evening
- whilst surely not too difficult for someone handy with a
screwdriver and careful, it's certainly not the sort of job Apple
would list as user-serviceable.

Stroller