[X4U] back-up software

alexandre mac.k at a2k.ch
Sat Dec 31 06:45:49 PST 2005

On 19 Dec 2005, at 13:32, alexandre wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2005, at 11:47, Randy B.Singer wrote:
>
>> alexandre said:
>>
>>> i am looking for software to back up my hard-drive. any suggestions?
>>> intego personal back looks good. how about shareware/freeware?
>>

>> I have a list of about 30 backup programs for OS X.  Let me know
>> if you
>> want it.
>>
>> Everyone has their favorite.  Your choice depends on what sort of
>> backup
>> you are looking to do, what sort of media you will be backing up
>> to, how
>> much you want to spend, how much handholding you need, etc.
>>

> hi randy
>
> i'll be backing up to a 250gb external hard drive, incrementally i
> presume. i've yet to set-up my back-up plan…
>
> i'm willing to spend around 60$,it's the price of personal back-up,
> but super-duper! looks great (4.5 mice on macworld.com)

hello again randy

i've tried a few back-up software packages: superduper! and
silverkeeper… both seemed fine but where (apparently) lacking a
feature, it seems.

this is what i plan on doing: i'll be backing up my pb to external
firewire hd #1 on monday, then to external firewire hd #2 on tuesday,
to #1 again on wednesday, to #2 on thursday and so on… the first back-
up on each drive will be a complete back-up of my home folder, each
succesive back-up will be of modified files only.

it seems superduper! doesn't do this. if a file has been modified on
the source, it will replace this file also in the back-up. i would
like to keep both… did i miss something?

regards and happy new year!

alexandre
:: 17" 1.5ghz powerbook / 1.5gb / 80gb / X.4.3 ::