[X4U] VNC - Speed differences

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Feb 1 10:59:25 PST 2005

> What type of information are you trying to display?  I frequently use
> M$ RDC to attach to a local windows desktop to access our graphical bug
> tracking database, and it works well.  It is not demanding, no live
> motion.  I also find that the combination of the Apple RDC VNC server
> and VNCViewer to control my home theater mac, and that also works well.
>   Again, simple graphics, nothing live...
>
> -Drew

Mainly simple text.  In both cases, under WinXP it's almost as good as being
live on the system, even animations do quite good on the local lan, and
there is no problem with most things via DSL.  Same results with Linux.

OTOH, if I try to make a connection on my home network from the Mac, it's
painfully slow.  RDC is usable for the most part, though scrolling the one
app I use can be a problem.  VNC on the other hand, is barely usable.

Here at work the two systems talk to each other via a 10Mbit hub, yet at
home the Mac and other systems are talking via a good 100Mbit switch.

		Zane