[X4U] Login troubleshooting

Samantha Cornell samantha at netresults.biz
Wed Feb 2 14:50:43 PST 2005

I have been presented with a Mac problem that I cannot nail down.

A classmate (I've recently gone back to school) asked me to
troubleshoot his girlfriend's iBook.  She is unable to login.  When the
iBook boots (running 10.2.8) the login window comes up, but there are
no accounts listed.

When she enters her username and password, and clicks the button, it
"looks like it is logging in" for a moment or two, then reverts right
back to the login window.  It does not jiggle back and forth like it
does when you input a bad username or password.

She claims that the problem start gradually (getting info is like
pulling teeth - very frustrating), and seems to have first occurred
when the internet connection in her building went down overnight...and
she awoke to find a "black screen with a whole bunch of words on
it...one of them might have been ethernet."

Don't you love these folks?

I suggested re-installing the OS (frankly, I'm not sure you can do that
without a valid username, can you?), but they are resistant...claiming
that it is a pain to upgrade it.

I did boot it from the install disk...and tried to do a password reset
from disk utility.  No accounts showed up on the harddrive.

Is it possible to delete the one and only account under 10.2.8?  If so,
would it behave like this?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Samantha