[X4U] Global change to menu font

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Feb 9 15:43:54 PST 2005

On 02/09/05, Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:

> There is no built-in way to change the menu font or size.
>
> On 2/9/05 11:45 AM, John Newhoff <johnl at portagebay.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the default menu font in OS X is Lucida Grande 12 or 13
>> point. Has anyone run across a way to change this? This was easy to
>> do via a preference in OS 9, but I haven't been able to track down
>> any way to do this in OS X. The default is just too big for me,
>> numerous menus won't fit on the screen and have to scroll.

IIRC, you can do it in terminal with these commands:

defaults write -g NSSystemFont deiredFont
defaults write -g NSSystemFontSize deiredFontSize

where desiredFont is whatever you want (or leave it as is and experiment
with just changing the size). You may have to restart to make the change.

Open Terminal app and type in man defaults to get the particulars.