[X4U] Re: External FireWire Cases

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Wed Feb 9 16:22:26 PST 2005

>On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 revDAVE <coolcat at hostalive.com> asked
>
>Question: does anyone have any particular preferences for external FireWire
>400 enclosures? Any good brands - URL'S etc.

Perhaps a more important question is: "which Firewire bridge chip does it use?"

IMHO, the Oxford Semiconductor chips are the best.  When I go
shopping, if it doesn't use Oxford 911 chip, or doesn't specify, I'll
pass.  Of course, other brands might have gotten better over the last
2 years, but I'll stick with what works.

In the last 2 years I've put together 6 Firewire drives.  All use the
same generic case w/Oxford bridge board.  3 are mine which see use
daily/weekly, the 3 other were for clients.  They have never given
one bit of trouble.

Available in FW400, FW800, USB2 & combinations,  generically known as
the "ME Series" .  Some examples from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-366&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-339&depa=1

These are typically available from most discount vendors, and come
under many brand names, sometimes for less than $30.