[X4U] OSX System/Carbon Copy Cloner question

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Sun Feb 13 20:53:16 PST 2005

Hi Sam,

Apple's recommendation is to install OSX on your highest spec Mac and then
you can image and restore that to your lower spec macs. This says to me
that moving a G3 direct installation onto a G4 would not be wise as it
will be missing things needed for the G4.

It may work fine for you but there could be thing missing.

Personally I'd install a new OSX onto the G4 and then transfer the G3's
Home folder over to the G4 (must keep the same login names) to ease your
setup process.

Cheers,

Coj

Sam <kahuna2 at fast.net>

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the 10.3.7 OS and apps from a Blue
G3/400 to a Quicksilver G4. Seems to run fine; very well, actually.

My question: Does OS X do a "universal" install? That is, does the 10.3.7
OS
installed from scratch on the Blue G3 contain all drivers, etc. for the G4
hardware? Or do I need to reinstall and update the OS on the G4 via an
archive and install to make sure it has the proper OS setup?

Thanks -
Sam