[X4U] OSX System/Carbon Copy Cloner question

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Mon Feb 14 17:30:49 PST 2005

Hi John-

(I'm paraphrasing here.) The original poster asked about cloning an
installed copy of OS X to an older Mac, and whether that installed
version would be sufficiently complete. To me, that raised two good
questions:

1) What's the rule for installing one version of OS X on an another
Mac? (I mean a rule regarding version issues only.)
Article 25497 answers part of that: The version of OS X you want to
install has to be newer than or the same as the OS X version that came
with your Mac. Note that no mention is made of the specs (e.g., G3 vs.
G4 vs. G5) of the computers.

From

>  You should use the Mac OS X install or restore disc that came with
> your computer, or one with a later version of Mac OS X.

2) Are OS X installations on our Macs complete, or are they stripped or
parameterized for our specific Mac?

I have no idea, and I've never seen any reference for this. John,
thanks for speaking for Brett, but your link is useless.
(Did you even look at the link?)

Here's the useless link:
On 2/14/2005, John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> said:

> I can't speak for Brett, but you could start with
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25773>.

Brett made a potentially interesting point, which I hadn't heard of
before.

Here's Brett's contention:

On 2/14/05, Brett Conlon wrote:

> Apple's recommendation is to install OSX on your highest spec Mac and
> then
> you can image and restore that to your lower spec macs. This says to me
> that moving a G3 direct installation onto a G4 would not be wise as it
> will be missing things needed for the G4.

I still would like to see a reference or link for this recommendation.

Jon