[X4U] OSX System/Carbon Copy Cloner question

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Mon Feb 14 19:14:44 PST 2005

If I recall correctly, the original poster was asking if they could clone
their OSX installation, made on a G3, to a G4 (stepping up machine models,
not down) and would everything that a G4 needed be there? His question was
does every OSX install contain everything for all Macs or does it install
only what it needs.

That's when I chimed in and mentioned Apple's recommendation to use your
highest spec Mac to install and Image from then restore onto all lower
spec macs.

As for a specific article, I still can't put my finger on one but they are
out there. Pixar used this philosophy to roll out OSX.

Don, you'd have great input on this topic.... wanna pitch in?

Coj

Jon Warms <jwarms at mac.com>

Hi John-

(I'm paraphrasing here.) The original poster asked about cloning an
installed copy of OS X to an older Mac, and whether that installed
version would be sufficiently complete. To me, that raised two good
questions:

. . .

Brett made a potentially interesting point, which I hadn't heard of
before.

Here's Brett's contention:

On 2/14/05, Brett Conlon wrote:

> Apple's recommendation is to install OSX on your highest spec Mac and
> then
> you can image and restore that to your lower spec macs. This says to me
> that moving a G3 direct installation onto a G4 would not be wise as it
> will be missing things needed for the G4.

I still would like to see a reference or link for this recommendation.

Jon