[X4U] Linux on Virtual PC

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 07:02:49 PST 2005

I used to use Slackware on VPC 6.1. Haven't tried it in 7 yet.

I did take some doing, some hit and miss loading of drivers to get
networking to boot. I didn't use X to often, but I do recall once
isn't that the new consumer (read: free) version of Redhat? I don't
know if it is going to autoload what you need. Like I said, I was
using Slackware, versions 8, 9 & 10. And they all worked, but you do
have to do a lot by hand, but then again, if you're using  Slackware,
you kind of expected that going in...

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:44:24 +0100, Xavier Noria <fxn at hashref.com> wrote:
> Anyone got some Linux running on Virtual PC 7?
>
> I tried first with the current Ubuntu. The installation goes well but
> networking doesn't work, and the graphics are absolutely unusable when
> it boots. I don't know whether the graphics can be fixed tweaking X
> configuration by hand, since there was no network anyway I gave up
> there to give Fedora Core 3 a chance.
>
> The graphical installer of Fedora Core 3 works smoothly, everything
> seems to go well during installation, but when you're done and reboot
> after a few initial console messages a Virtual PC dialog saying "An
> unrecoverable processor error has occurred. The PC will now restart."
> shows up and the PC cannot go on, but restart.
>
> Any ideas about fixes or alternatives?
>
> -- fxn

Polonius19
Chief Malcontent & Misanthrope