[X4U] Linux on Virtual PC

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Feb 15 08:33:33 PST 2005

>Anyone got some Linux running on Virtual PC 7?

Tried, yes.  Succeeded, no.  I think the following is how everything
breaks down.

I've had the following running:
AROS (Amiga Replacement OS)
BeOS Max
MS-DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.11
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows XP Pro (came with it)

Not running right:
BeOS 4.5

Not running:
Knoppix Linux

I'm running it on a Dual 2Ghz G5, and overall I'm very unhappy with
the product.  Linux should basically just run on it, it's disk I/O
performance *SUCKS*, and I lost my initial WinXP Pro install with all
my data on the disk image when the disk image became to corrupted to
be read (did I mention disk I/O *SUCKS*).

One thing I wanted to use it for was to play a couple of *old* games
that I have, that were intended for Win95 and Win98.  The disk I/O
performance is so bad that the games are practically unplayable.

			Zane