[X4U] PowerBook in "lid closed" mode

Jeff Winchester jeffw at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 20 15:45:49 PST 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 5:20 PM, Scott wrote:

> All G4 PowerBooks can be run with the lid closed.
> A simple search of the AppleCare knowledge base for "powerbook lid
> closed" will return
> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286 .

It's not really a question of whether or not it can be done; I've done
it and am well-aware of how to accomplish it. My question is really
centered around the heat generated by a G4 and whether or not it's safe
to keep the lid closed, namely during more intensive software
operations that obviously generate more heat and cause the fan to come
on.

My understanding is that the keyboard assembly of the G4 PowerBook acts
like a heat sink, drawing heat away from the inside of the machine.
Assuming this is correct, to close the lid would deprive the system of
this ability.

Is it safe for constant use in this mode?

--
Jeff Winchester
jeffw at tampabay.rr.com