[X4U] PowerBook in "lid closed" mode

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Sun Feb 20 19:14:26 PST 2005

At least in the aluminum PowerBooks, the keyboard is not a part of the
cooling system. It it were, the keys would be noticeably warm to the
touch--and they're not. Air enters from the vents on the bottom front
and exhausts from the vents in the back, where the hinge pivots. I
believe the titanium models worked in much the same way, but I have
very little experience with them. The pivot of the lid doesn't restrict
airflow from the exhaust vent in any position, so it should run at more
or less the same temperature, open or closed.

I would suggest running a utility such as Temperature Monitor and then
experimenting with the lid both open and closed. Since the temp will
show in the menu bar (or, Dock), it will be easy to tell if heat
buildup reaches a critical level.

BTW, regardless of the lid position, I would recommend one of the
several products that lift the PB above the work surface. Most of the
heat accumulates on the bottom of the case, below the CPU, GPU,
battery, and drives. Increasing airflow over the underside makes a
clear difference in my experience. To quote from the Apple PB care
page: "The bottom of the PowerBook case functions as a cooling surface
that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside.
The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow that keeps
the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, the
computer vents warm air from the back of the case."