[X4U] Toast Encoding speed/Archiving TV shows to DVD using the Mac

Andrew T. Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Thu Jan 6 08:40:32 PST 2005

Hi Folks,
   I am archiving some shows from my Ultimate TV (Tivo clone).  I output
from the UTV to my Sony MiniDV encoder DVMC-DA2.  I capture the video
in MiniDV format using BTV Pro.  I then dropped the resulting MiniDV
files onto Toast 6.  It's been encoding since 10pm last night (It's now
8:30am).  It appeared to be about 85% done when I left for work this
morning.  I did check the "High Quality" setting.  There are 10 Minidv
files, totaling 1 hour and 39 minutes.  This is on a G4 450DP with 1G
of memory, running no other user applications.

Two questions:
1) How long would this take without the "High Quality Option"?
2) How long would this take on a G5 2.5gHz w/1G of memory?
3) Should I be capturing to some other format in BTV Pro?

Answers to impending questions:
1) I am using toast instead of iDvd in hopes of being able to have dvds
longer than 90 minutes.
2) I am doing this as it seems redundant to purchase a standalone DVD
burner for my home theater system when I already have all the
components.
3) I do chop the MiniDV files into 2G chunks

Cheers,
    Drew

- Andrew T. Lynch
- Chief Zymurgist