[X4U] dead ipod battery

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 7 01:42:19 PST 2005

On 1/7/05 10:31 AM, "Mitchell Senft" <ms53 at optonline.net> wrote:

> How would I know for sure? For the past couple of months, I'd connect
> it to the Mac to recharge. It would take the charge but the the machine
> would not see it as a mounted drive nor would iTunes open, etc. Now, it
> -appears- that despite being connected, it's not taking a charge. Or
> weirder, it tells me at one point the battery's dead but when
> connected, it shows a slight sign of life, like it's -maybe- taking a
> charge. The battery gauge, though, does not register a charge, and the
> screen shows the check mark. Note that it's a first gen iPod so I
> suppose the battery's past it's expiration date, as it were. Also, have
> been been recharging it a little more that every other week on average.

It  could be dead, but some people have found that using the iPod Software
Updater to restore the iPod to factory settings has resuscitated their
batteries. It's worth a try - make sure you've got your music backed up,
because it erases everything on the iPod.

Kirk

                      Author of: iPod & iTunes Garage
                     http://www.mcelhearn.com/ipod.html
      Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France