[X4U] airport - making the connection

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 8 18:12:02 PST 2005

On Jan 8, 2005, at 10:13 pm, FC Farwell wrote:

> my powerbook has a good signal form the airport base.
> encryption is off for now on the base station, to get me going quickly
> for now.
> Airport is the selected connection in the network preferences.
>
> But when I open Safari and try to connect all it replies is that the
> server can't be located. I've read apple airport help but this has not
> solved the problem. Any ideas what im missing?

What does `ifconfig en1` say, typed in a terminal window?
What happens when you type `ping yahoo.com`, `ping 66.94.234.13` and
`traceroute 66.94.234.13`?
If you copy & paste the output from these commands (allow ping to run
three or four lines & then press control-C) & post to the list  we
might have some chance of diagnosing.

If you prefer, go to System Preferences > Network. The default "show"
drop-down of "Network Status" shows red, orange & green lights
according to status & gives a description if anything is wrong. This
gives less information than the Unix commands given above, however.

Does the internet work if you connect to it with a network cable? If
not, I suspect the internets are broken.

Stroller.