[X4U] OS X + telephone systems

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 8 19:58:29 PST 2005

On Jan 9, 2005, at 2:31 am, Robert Ameeti wrote:

>>> Does anyone have any source for recordings of standard stuff for
>>> AppleScripts to use in feedback to callers? Stuff like 'One' 'Two'
>>> 'Three' etc.
>>
>> I don't know if it's any help, but you can buy recordings from a
>> company called Digium.
>> More information at <http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=thevoice>
>> and a sample at <http://thevoice.digium.com/>. It's not cheap, tho',
>> so is probably only appropriate for commercial setups.
>>
>> Stroller.
>
> I am interested but their 'click here for a demo file' doesn't have a
> link. There is no way to get a clue as to what you get.

When I went to the <http://thevoice.digium.com/> site, after a few
seconds I heard a voice welcoming me. The ending was kinda cut off - I
assumed  that was because I'm using OmniWeb.

<http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=contact_information>

> Just a clue that they use the Yahoo store for their transactions.
> Eeeww.

Well, I guess it's convenient for them - I wouldn't want to use a Yahoo
store myself, as I feel it appears less professional than a branded
image, and I haven't dealt with Digium myself but they seem an
extremely well-respected company.

Digium are the sponsors of the Asterisk open-source PBX project, a
powerful digital telephone exchange software which allows routing of
calls between conventional & VoIP networks. In the OP's case it might
typically be used to connect old-fangled copper or ISDN lines to their
office ethernet network, and users could be equipped with VoIP
telephone handsets (which are in appearance a conventional telephone)
or software telephones on their Macs. Unlike Parliant's PhoneValet this
would allow users to transfer callers to other extensions within the
office, and should the company have staff in another building calls
could be routed over the internet. I currently use a different system
which forwards my voicemail as attachments to my email inbox, allowing
me to listen to them in Mail.app on my Powerbook when I'm away from
home; Asterisk is more sophisticated in this regard, allowing
voice-messages to be forwarded to different telephone extensions or
email addresses depending upon which extension or phone number has been
dialled.

Digium host the open Asterisk-Users mailing list, from which I've
received over a thousand posts since I subscribed on the 3rd January.
It appears they are a serious company, and it is evident that quite a
number of consultants are implementing Asterisk systems commercially
using their products.

I wrote a longer reply to the original posting on this subject, which
appears to be languishing awaiting moderator approval, and which I'll
repost in two parts if there's a demand.

Stroller.