[X4U] Mac Mini!!!

Greg Chapel gchapel at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 11 14:38:08 PST 2005

Since the Apple Site states that ram must be installed by Apple or an
authorized re-seller and it is not a user servicable part, then if you do it
yourself you will probably void your warrantee or AppleCare.

I really like the design and size of the mac mini but to be honest I don't
see this as a big hit unless Apple comes out with low cost peripherals,
display  and adequately priced AppleCare.

I priced a mac mini the way I would configure the mini and with AppleCare,
wireless keyboard & mouse it came to $1500.00 plus tax. This doesn't include
shipping or a monitor. If I choose Apple's cheapest display (Currently the
20" flat panel at $999.00) it brings the total price to $2500.00.

At the end of the day, I get a nicely designed system but with a lower end
graphics card, lower end cpu, and high price tag of $2500.00.

I can get an ugly Dell with 15" flat panel display 2.4 GHz Celeron, 80211.g,
equivalent graphics subsytem, 3 years Dell support and repair, 80 GB 7200
RPM drive, ethernet, modem, mouse, keyboard, XP media package, Word Perfect
word processer, all for $699.00.

Now if Apple came out with a Mouse/Keyboard/15" Flat panel bundle for
<$200.00 and AppleCare for <$50.00 and they also lowered their ram cost to
1GB < $200 upgrade option not $425.00, then I think Apple would have a
killer product.

As it stands now, the iMac G5, 12" powerbook, or an ibook is a much better
deal.

Greg