[X4U] Mac Mini!!!

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Tue Jan 11 16:09:12 PST 2005

> Since the Apple Site states that ram must be installed by Apple or an
> authorized re-seller and it is not a user servicable part, then if you do it
> yourself you will probably void your warrantee or AppleCare.

It just says some of these options (like HD, video card, RAM, etc...) must
be installed at the factory it doesn¹t talk specifically about RAM. It says
other items can be installed at the store, which ones it doesn¹t say. I
still suspect RAM could be upgraded at the store level since it the easiest
thing to change, video cards, hard drive, etc... could to be more
problematic and maybe need to be done at assemble time.

> I really like the design and size of the mac mini but to be honest I don't
> see this as a big hit unless Apple comes out with low cost peripherals,
> display  and adequately priced AppleCare.

I think though there are a lot of used peripherals out there people already
have lying around from old PCs (perhaps the old one they are replacing with
a Mac mini) and why would they need anything else? Unless you¹re doing high
end Photoshop, Publishing or Video work you don¹t need fancy Apple product.
I think in the lower end market there are plenty of people who could care
less if their monitor and keyboard look like shit. If it surfs, emails,
works and is cheap that¹s all that matters. Perhaps a cheaper AppleCare
warranty would be a good thing but hardly necessary. Once they¹re in the
Apple family then they can upgrade.

> I priced a mac mini the way I would configure the mini and with AppleCare,
> wireless keyboard & mouse it came to $1500.00 plus tax. This doesn't include
> shipping or a monitor. If I choose Apple's cheapest display (Currently the
> 20" flat panel at $999.00) it brings the total price to $2500.00.
>
> At the end of the day, I get a nicely designed system but with a lower end
> graphics card, lower end cpu, and high price tag of $2500.00.

Only if they buy the best Apple has to offer. Where I work they threw in the
trash a dozen old PCs (P1-133s) with monitors 3 of which were 17in, which I
got for nothing and they all work, maybe not to the high end standards of
new but good enough and the price was right. Anyone of those monitors would
be good enough for the average Joe and would work just fine on a mini. If
you got the processor with the power that¹s the most important thing. Nearly
all my friends who are all PC users have got hodge podge systems with a
monitor from here a keyboard from there, mother board from somewhere else,
etc...they will be totally comfortable with a slick mini hooked up to their
old familiar beige pieces of crap and they won¹t care. In fact the one thing
they complain about most about Apple is how they have to buy all the stuff
from Apple, now they don¹t have to, and I¹m certain it will sway people to
buy a Mac for the first time. $499 to me doesn¹t look like such a bad deal.

> I can get an ugly Dell with 15" flat panel display 2.4 GHz Celeron, 80211.g,
> equivalent graphics subsytem, 3 years Dell support and repair, 80 GB 7200
> RPM drive, ethernet, modem, mouse, keyboard, XP media package, Word Perfect
> word processer, all for $699.00.

The only thing here I see as an advantage for Dell is the 3 year warranty
and support.

> Now if Apple came out with a Mouse/Keyboard/15" Flat panel bundle for
> <$200.00 and AppleCare for <$50.00 and they also lowered their ram cost to
> 1GB < $200 upgrade option not $425.00, then I think Apple would have a
> killer product.

Where is this price of $425 for 1 GB of RAM coming from? I can¹t seem to
find a price listed for this.

my2cents

Richard