[X4U] Mac Mini!!!

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 13 00:31:06 PST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 5:40 am, Greg Chapel wrote:

> .... is that really the message Apple wants to send to potentially new
> users. I think Apple made a mistake here. They should be offering
> 512mb as
> minimum config, and charging an extra $150.00 for the 1gb upgrade. They
> should also drop AppleCare price to 10% of machine cost ~$50.00.

Oh, come on! No-one else expects to sell computers at a loss! Whilst I
agree that the price of factory-installed RAM for this machine is
outrageous, a base of 512meg would increases the base cost of the
machine. Since the miniMac should be placed to increase market share,
there's no advantage to Apple to sell it with the kind of specification
that enthusiasts like you & I would be happy with - it'll just hurt
high-end sales.

I do "small-office / home-office" computer support for a living, and
it's worth remembering that the folks who are shopping around the
low-end of the market don't want to spend money. I actually find it
really hard to remember this, because I think that a £450 2.4gHz Dell
with Windows XP is a complete bargain, and I'm surprised when customers
with a 3 year-old Windows 98 machine don't jump at the chance to
upgrade.

In the UK Dell market their machines as starting at £349, but shipping
& VAT add another £100 before you start. Since it is Dell that Apple
are competing against with the miniMac, why should they price
themselves up? Dell have a very similar pricing schedule to that we're
complaining about here - adding a floppy drive to one of their machines
costs £20, and a DVD-writer perhaps £80 or so. Considering that I can
buy floppy drives & DVD-writers for £5 & £45 respectively, Dell must be
able to buy them in volume for much less, so clearly this is where
they're making their money. Again - why should Apple be any different?

Now, I haven't read all the details on this, but if Apple say that any
Apple reseller is allowed to upgrade the RAM for you without voiding
the warranty, then it's a relatively trivial task, and anyone can do do
it. I suspect Apple may not even be tying you in to their own RAM - all
the Apple resellers I know buy memory from Cruicial or Kingston, and
none of them are Apple qualified service engineers.

The pricing of the miniMac is such that I can tell all my PC customers
now - go out & buy a Mac. There's no cost disadvantage to doing so.
Although this image <http://tinyurl.com/5dyqs> from the Apple website
shows a unit plugged into a typical PC keyboard & monitor, I can see
customers who are happy with the mini buying a "real" Mac with designer
keyboard & monitor next time around.

Stroller.