[X4U] Mac Mini!!!

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Thu Jan 13 09:20:37 PST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 2:45 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>>  > If you go into the order page and try to configure extra options,
>>>  you'll find that the 1GB upgrade costs $425.
>>
>> You're right. This is an insane price. I think I'd void the warranty
>> and pry
>> it open to add my own RAM to save $300.
>
> Interesting point, void your warranty and save $300, sounds like a
> good trade-off to me.

I went back to the booth later and got a little more info on upgrading the
Mac Mini.

   1. Apple "does not recommend" that users upgrade the memory themselves -
you're supposed to have a service provider do it if you want to add more
after purchase - but doing it yourself does not void the warranty unless you
damage something. A booth person told me the memory slot is easily
accessible once you get the case open.

>>This, in fact, is a deal-breaker for me - I won't be buying a Mac mini
>>(though I could use one) because of the cost of RAM.

>>Kirk

Maybe this would make the deal better?

>$425 for a gig of RAM is
> : outrageous. It's a big cash grab. I think it's ridiculous that Apple would
> : void the warranty for that.
>
> Maybe you are pretty expert in handling computer hardware.  But you are
> the exception rather than the rule.  Most people have no idea how to do
> stuff that you might consider trivial or elementary.  For example, I've
> got to help a friend's parents who don't understand that their new USB
> color inkjet printer is missing the USB cable.

You're right a lot of people are clueless but I think that's all the more
reason to deal with them fairly. And sooner or later they're going to figure
out they paid too much and then they'll be pissed off, Apple especially
should be careful.

Richard