[X4U] Mac Mini!!!

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Jan 13 02:25:42 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 04:25:46PM -0500, Richard Gilmore wrote:
:
: > Subject: Re: [X4U] Mac Mini!!!
: >
: >>> If you go into the order page and try to configure extra options,
: >>>  you'll find that the 1GB upgrade costs $425.
: >>
: >> You're right. This is an insane price. I think I'd void the
: >> warranty and pry it open to add my own RAM to save $300.
: >
: > Interesting point, void your warranty and save $300, sounds like a
: > good trade-off to me.
: >
:
: I don't mean to sound flip but when every new Mac came out in the 80s or 90s
: Apple said the same thing, "get an Apple certified tech" to add RAM or a CD
: drive or whatever. Now I've got two 6100s, three LCIIs, and LC250, a Umax
: Mac Clone, a Classic, and so many old Macs than I can't count. And I've
: taken them all apart added RAM or a CD or HD and put them back together and
: they still work fine. I don't think opening up a Mini would be anymore
: dangerous. In a couple of years they'll be a zillion websites with how-to
: instructions, to do this or that to your old Mini. $425 for a gig of RAM is
: outrageous. It's a big cash grab. I think it's ridiculous that Apple would
: void the warranty for that.

Maybe you are pretty expert in handling computer hardware.  But you are
the exception rather than the rule.  Most people have no idea how to do
stuff that you might consider trivial or elementary.  For example, I've
got to help a friend's parents who don't understand that their new USB
color inkjet printer is missing the USB cable.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/