[X4U] Mac Mini!!!

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Wed Jan 12 13:25:46 PST 2005

> Subject: Re: [X4U] Mac Mini!!!
>
>>> If you go into the order page and try to configure extra options,
>>>  you'll find that the 1GB upgrade costs $425.
>>
>> You're right. This is an insane price. I think I'd void the warranty and pry
>> it open to add my own RAM to save $300.
>
> Interesting point, void your warranty and save $300, sounds like a
> good trade-off to me.

I don't mean to sound flip but when every new Mac came out in the 80s or 90s
Apple said the same thing, "get an Apple certified tech" to add RAM or a CD
drive or whatever. Now I've got two 6100s, three LCIIs, and LC250, a Umax
Mac Clone, a Classic, and so many old Macs than I can't count. And I've
taken them all apart added RAM or a CD or HD and put them back together and
they still work fine. I don't think opening up a Mini would be anymore
dangerous. In a couple of years they'll be a zillion websites with how-to
instructions, to do this or that to your old Mini. $425 for a gig of RAM is
outrageous. It's a big cash grab. I think it's ridiculous that Apple would
void the warranty for that.

Cheers

Richard