[X4U] Stopping Spam - Does Anything Work?

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sat Jan 15 19:16:07 PST 2005

on 05/01/15 06:23, revDAVE at coolcat at hostalive.com wrote:

> for false positives in the Spam folder ...  There is a greater and greater
> chance - that a legitimate E-mail sent from a good person who is new -  and
> not in my e-mail address book - will get missed -  and I will accidentally
> toss it. Is there any way to protect against this type of loss?

Most spam filters call this "aggressive" filtering, or something like that.
I do not use that, for the reason you just state.

However, my spam filters work wonderfully:

Daily averages:
5 are tagged by ieee.org, which an Entourage rule files in junk.
100 blocked by Earthlink "medium" "known spam" blocking.
20 filed in junk mail folder by Microsoft Entourage.

I only lose about one semi-spam email this week.  Often, Entourage will
classify Earthlink "specical offers" as junk...which they are!!

Only about two spams per day get through to my inbox, usually those pesky
"undeliverable mail" or "you sent junk" notices.  No false positives either;
the only time I ever bother to check my "junk" is if I'm expecting an email
I don't get.  But so far, I've never found any good emails in there.

I am very pleased with the IEEE, Earthlink and Entourage spam filters.  I
don't spend any time maintaining them.  They just work.