[X4U] Stopping Spam - Does Anything Work?

Stan Gould groups at stangould.com
Sun Jan 16 10:20:37 PST 2005

At 6:23 -0800 1/15/05, revDAVE wrote:
>So, before I retire my favorite old email address,  I was
>wondering if
>there's any way to get spammers to stop -  Org least cut down
>on spamming
>you?

I highly recommend a challenge/response email service.
BePrivate.com and Mailpass.com are two that I've used and they
work. Of the two I like BePrivate is better: it has more message
handling options.

Both work using a "whitelist," a list of addressesthat you want
to receive email from. Here is the description from the Mailpass
website:

>When people who are on your VerifiedSender List send you email,
>their emails are delivered directly to your Inbox.
>
>When senders who are not on your Verified Sender List send you
>email for the first time, their emails are put in your
>unverified folder, and they automatically receive a
>verification email. If the senders click the link in the
>verification email, they are added to your Verified Sender List
>and their past and future emails are automatically
>delivereddirectly to your inbox. This way your verified sender
>list is built automatically as you receive email.
>
>You can also manually add or remove anyone from your Verified
>Sender List to further refine who has access to your inbox, but
>for most of our customers their Verified Sender List is
>generated automatically as their friends and family verify
>themselves.
>
>If you are worried about missing an email from an unverified
>sender, such as an automated purchase confirmation, you can
>simply check your unverified folder.

Hope this helps.

Questions? Feel free to write to me off list:
mailto:stan at stangould.com.

Stan