[X4U] Can't mount an iDisk...webDav problem?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Jan 15 20:30:14 PST 2005

Message pared/reposted to avoid the 5k limit...sorry for the
duplication if the original gets past the moderator
-------------
I have the .Mac settings in System Preferences set to keep a local copy
of the iDisk, and to be synchronized automatically.  It has worked
great up until this point.

I tried to mount my iDisk from work with my iBook, and clicking the
iDisk icon in the sidebar did nothing.  I deleted the sidebar prefs and
restarted the Finder.  I still couldn't seem to access the iDisk.  So I
went to the menu Go--->iDisk--->My iDisk.  Nothing.  Then
iDisk--->Other User's iDisk  and manually entered my .Mac account info
and password.  I got the error:

"You cannot connect to this server because it cannot be found on the
network.  Try again later or try a different URL."   Hmmmm.

I didn't think too much about this until I got home, where my iMac is
configured with a local copy of my iDisk set to automatically update.
I clicked on the sidebar iDisk icon...and noticed that the last time it
had synced was on 1/10/05  (or 10/01/05 for those non-US readers) at
11:59 pm.  I hit the "manual sync" button next to the iDisk, which then
left a message at the bottom of the window that "107 MB available, Last
sync failed."  I guess I haven't had iDisk access for 5 days but didn't
notice it because I have been using my local iDisk copy.

I opened Console to look at the logs, marked it a few times with my
current time, and see this every time I try to manually mount my iDisk
with the Go... command:

===== Sat Jan 15 2005 ===== 20:32:33 US/Central =====
Jan 16 02:33:12 localhost webdavd[655]: http_mount: WebDAV protocol not
supported
Jan 16 02:33:12 localhost webdavd[655]:
http://idisk.mac.com/michaelelliott/ could not be mounted

I ran disk repair permissions from the OSX 10.3 CD, and got

"We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util.  New permissions
are 33261"

But still the same results trying to mount the iDisk.

I thought my router had somehow reset to block webDav access, though I
had the same problem with my iBook on my work connection.  Just for
fun, I connected by  dialup to a local service provider, turned off
Airport, and still got the same "WebDAV protocol not supported"
message.

iSync doesn't complain at all when I ask it to backup to .Mac, and the
.Mac preference pane still checks and displays my remaining iDisk space
as usual.  I've booted from an external FW drive with a weeks-old clone
of my 10.3.6 system, made before the 10.3.7 upgrade, and it has the
same problem.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get iDisk to mount again?

Michael