[X4U] Stopping Spam - Does Anything Work?

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sun Jan 16 21:34:11 PST 2005

on 05/01/16 11:03, Craig A. Finseth at fin at finseth.com wrote:

>    I highly recommend a challenge/response email service.
>    BePrivate.com and Mailpass.com are two that I've used and they
>    work. Of the two I like BePrivate is better: it has more message
>    handling options.
>
> These are ideal for cutting down on email: they pretty much prevent it all.

Unless you want to restrict your world to those you already know, whitelist
systems are too restrictive also; I do not use either.

The person who had my email address "jerry at ieee.org" before me abandoned it
because he was getting so much spam, so he told me after I replied to his
relatives sending me party invitations and Christmas letters.  But I saw
that he signed himself up for a lot of junk (and always used the same
password for all of his "accounts" :)).

However, as I stated in my previous post, with my IEEE, Earthlink and
Entourage email filters, I am down to one or two spams a day, mostly those
silly "you [someone spoofing me] have sent a virus" or "your [spam from your
spoofed address] could not be sent".  And I never have messages falsely
filtered.

I use this one email address for everything, for 13 months now, and give it
out freely.

So, yes, these things DO work.