[X4U] Opened for the first time?

SW sw at carolina.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 08:40:58 PST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 10:48 AM, Michael Rath wrote:

> Lately my iMac, OS 10.3.7, has been telling me that I have been
> opening a program for the first time, when in actuality I have opened
> it many times in the past. This happens most often with the Microsoft
> products but has also happened with several other programs.
>
> It is irritating. Is there something I did that set this off or maybe
> something I haven't done to stop it?

  This is a security protocol to prevent programs from being downloaded
and run without your knowledge. Anytime a program is run for the first
time ( I think also when it is activated by a file) it will throw up
this confirmation message.

  I have seen this start to re-occur after some software updates, but
not always. AFAIK if you empty a specific cache , it will reset the
process. Watch out for certain cache settings in programs like Onyx or
MacJanitor.

  Once reset, it should only ask once for each application, the first
time it is opened.

Steve

Ketterling's Law: Logic is an organized way of going wrong with
confidence.