[X4U] Opened for the first time?

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Wed Jan 19 11:13:24 PST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 09:21:00 -0800, Eddie Hargreaves
<meged at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Flushing the system caches using utilities like Onyx, MacJanitor,
> Cocktail,
> etc. can cause this.
>

> On 1/19/05 7:48 AM, Michael Rath <mr.mac at mm.com> wrote:
>
>> Lately my iMac, OS 10.3.7, has been telling me that I have been
>> opening
>> a program for the first time, when in actuality I have opened it many
>> times in the past.

It also happens because the system starts a different
copy of the program different from the one that you usually use.

Sometimes it's a duplicate copy that I didn't realize I had, and other
times it's an old version of the program. These would be (in my case,
at least) correctly the initial uses.

The warning protects against bad guys who successfully enter my
machine and replace programs with their programs with the same names
that the bad guys have modified to include unpleasant side effects.