[X4U] iPod dead - help!!

Peter Payne peter2 at jlist.com
Wed Jan 19 16:50:38 PST 2005

I am so bummed. I formatted my Mac-formatted iPod (3G, 40 gig) as a
PC drive so I could copy some files over to my mother's PC. I thought
I'd keep it in Windows format for convenience, but got frustrated
with filenames like "Icon" being illegal as far as the Windows format
went, so I formatted it back to Mac, with Disk Utility. It went fine
and I copied over 10 gig of files -- all was well.

Lo and behold, my iPod decided to die when I unplugged it. Now all
that happens is, the iPod shows the Apple screen as it makes several
chunking noises. I've tried resetting it (holding menu and play) but
it rarely resets, and usually just sits there -- at no time will it
mount or show the iPod menu or play music. I can't run Apple's reset
utility because it won't ever mount on the computer (Mac or PC).

So...does anyone have any suggestions for me? Is there a "super
reset" that I don't know about? (I did take it in to the Apple Genius
but he was at a loss.) Will taking it apart and twiddling help? The
drive was never dropped so I'm surprised if it really crashed -- all
I did was format it as a Mac volume.

Thanks in advance for anything you can suggest.
--
J-LIST http://www.jlist.com

Interested in my life in Japan? See the Peter Payne homepage at
http://www.peterpayne.net/