[X4U] [OT] Skype microphone

Roy van der Westhuizen roy at ion.co.za
Thu Jan 20 22:40:59 PST 2005

silvo conticello <silvoc at tiscali.it> replied:

Thanks Silvo. It would appear to me that my problem was not the absence
of an external microphone, but having the feedback from an incoming
voice going over the microphone. Subsequent to sending my original
message I also noticed that my microphone input was set rather low and
then took it up to the point that it did not show the sound of cars on
the road outside my office.

Regards,

Roy

>> Is ones voice markedly better using a microphone or is the in-built
>> mike adequate? I am using a PB 17" 1Ghz with 1 gig ram.

> I use both an headset and the internal mic. Of course the sound quality
> is better with the headset, but if you use earphones and the internal
> mic the sound quality is more than adequate if the environment is not
> noisy.

>> Where is the mike located on the PB? In other words, where should I
>> direct my voice?

>  From the Apple documentation
> "the integrated microphone is located underneath the left speaker grill
> near the Tab key."
> I haven't noticed any difference directing the voice toward the left or
> the right speaker.

>> I have a friend talking to me via a windows machine, but he has a mike
>> and is very clear. When I talk to the Skype "echo123" service I can
>> hear myself quite clearly.

Do you use earphones? Otherwise the sound from the  speaker will
interfere.