[X4U] SMART Drive Status

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Fri Jul 1 15:23:17 PDT 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Nick Scalise wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just upgraded a G5 to 10.4.1, (Rev.A G5 1.8 -Single/160GB/1.5GB
> RAM) all went well and the machine is running. However, I went into
> disk utility to repair permissions for the last time and the drive
> name in the left column was in red and near the bottom of the
> window there is  "SMART status: Failing"
>
> Hmm, I just went to check it again, and now SMART Status is Verified.
>
> I was going to ask how long I have before I replace the HD, should
> I leave it running, etc. But now it looks as though it should at
> least survive the weekend?
>
> Has anyone experienced a situation like this before?

My AlBook just went to failing status last week. Unfortunately, I
didn't find out until after I'd attempted a reinstall (fsck reported
the drive was OK - it doesn't report SMART status).

Mine didn't recover enough to get even a partial backup, so I'm back
to my last full backup from last month. While yours could have been a
hiccup, I highly suggest a backup *now* if you haven't already done
so. If you choose to stick w/ the apparently OK HD for now,  keep a
close eye on it.

--
Scott