[X4U] Defragmenting a journaled disk

joshua hough soyjourner at mac.com
Sun Jul 3 19:16:52 PDT 2005

I had journaling activated on one of my drives.  I booted from another drive and ran TechTool Pro 4's "Optimization" tool to defragment that drive.  I was unaware that TTP was not supposed to allow me to do that.  It had not identified the drive as journaled.  The TTP manual indicates the Optimization tool should have been grayed out for that drive, but it wasn't.  After the defragmentation completed, the drive was severely damaged and much of the contents were unreadable.  Two questions:

1.  Why would TTP allow me to optimize the journaled disk?  Are there special cases where it's allowed?

2.  Was the damage 100% positively caused by this action?  Does this always happen when you defrag a journaled volume?

Thanks,
-Josh