[X4U] Re: Defragmenting a journaled disk

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Mon Jul 4 16:16:55 PDT 2005

joshua hough <soyjourner at mac.com> wrote:

>I had journaling activated on one of my drives.  I booted from
>another drive and ran TechTool Pro 4's "Optimization" tool to
>defragment that drive.  I was unaware that TTP was not supposed to
>allow me to do that.  It had not identified the drive as journaled.
>The TTP manual indicates the Optimization tool should have been
>grayed out for that drive, but it wasn't.  After the defragmentation
>completed, the drive was severely damaged and much of the contents
>were unreadable.  Two questions:
>
>1.  Why would TTP allow me to optimize the journaled disk?  Are
>there special cases where it's allowed?
>
>2.  Was the damage 100% positively caused by this action?  Does this
>always happen when you defrag a journaled volume?
>
>Thanks,
>-Josh

marketing hype aside, there's little to no value in "defragging" your
drive. it's a waste of time...and as you just experienced, it's
dangerous. ditch the "defragging" tool. anyone (including apple) who
deploys/manages large scale mac enterprise/school environments will
roll their eyes at the very mention of the so-called need for
"defragging".

disregard advice from those with ties to third party vendors who WANT
you to believe you need a "defragging" tool (or sugar pill).

buy a bigger drive.

don

don montalvo, nyc