[X4U] Swap Directory disappears

Michel Treisman treisman at psy.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 09:34:40 PDT 2005

I have a 1GHz Tibook, with the hard disk partitioned and system 10.3.9
installed on the volume "Hard disk 1".

I want to back the system up on a partition of an external Firewire
drive "Ext disk 1".

I erased 'Ext disk 1' and used Carbon Copy cloner to clone 'Hard disk
1'  on to it.

  When CCC finishes, I  start up on 'Ext disk 1', in Single User mode,
and run Applejack to check all is OK.

  All is not OK.  Applejack says:

  "Warning. Swap directory private/var/vm appears not to exist"

(I don't get this  warning when I start up on 'Hard disk 1".)

I ran Disk Utility and then DiskWarrior  on 'Ext disk 1'.  DW finds a
messed up directory. I make it replace the directory, and start again;

Still not OK:  Applejack gives the same warning.

I ran CCC  again, in sync mode, with instructions to replace
corresponding files.  That made no difference.

So what should I do?  Is there some way to restore private/var/vm  to
the system on 'Ext disk 1"?  Or should I disregard the warning?

Mike