[X4U] Swap Directory disappears

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Tue Jul 5 09:50:26 PDT 2005

On Jul 5, 2005, at 12:34, Michel Treisman wrote:

> I want to back the system up on a partition of an external Firewire
> drive "Ext disk 1".
>
> I erased 'Ext disk 1' and used Carbon Copy cloner to clone 'Hard disk
> 1'  on to it.
>
>  "Warning. Swap directory private/var/vm appears not to exist"

CCC doesn't copy the swap files, which shouldn't be copied anyway.

The vm directory, if it doesn't exist, is created automatically by the
multi-user startup script /etc/rc. So the warning indicates merely that
you haven't booted in multi-user mode from "Ext disk 1" yet. I don't
think there's any reason to worry.

See also

<http://kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_startup.html>

<0x0192>