[X4U] Sign in screen, deja vu.

Ed Graf edgraf at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 16:32:13 PDT 2005

A friend of mine has a 12in G4 Powerbook running 10.2.8 and within
the last week, he cannot get past the log-in window.

It boots (takes a super long time) with his username, he enters his
password, it appears to take it, then reverts to the same log-in
window.  We have tried a "wrong" password and the screen responds in
an appropriate manner.

Due to the "friendly" bag smashers of un-named airline, his
superdrive is less deep in an area that it probably should not be.
We took his important data off his hard drive, but, I hesitate to put
him into firewire mode and install a later OS, unless as a last resort.

I remember reading something about this problem a couple of years
ago.  I cannot find it, either in these archives or other places.  It
would not be outside the realm of possibility that I "remember"
something else, but, I am hoping someone can direct me to an
appropriate site or remind me.

Thanks in advance,

Ed