[X4U] Man arrested for using Open Wireless network (was Re: Wireless "theft" )

David Flory daflory at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 7 07:52:20 PDT 2005

look at section 3, the second section, that I quoted.

"(3) Knowingly and without permission uses or causes to be used
computer services."

The legislature was very clear, in the lengthy first part describing
their intent, that they intend to give special legal protection to
computers and computer networks. Section 3 that I quoted is very
specific plain English. If you don't have permission to use "a
computer or computer network" don't use it. An analogy: If you see a
car with the keys in the ignition, even with the engine running, is
it an invitation to drive it to the market? Some think so, but they
still get booked into jail.

If the legislature wants to change the law, great, but as it stands
now use of your, or my, wireless network, without getting our
permission is a violation of the California Penal Code.
--
Speak softly, study Aikido, & you won't need to carry a big stick!
See my photos @ <http://homepage.mac.com/dflory>