[X4U] Man arrested for using Open Wireless network (was Re: Wireless "theft" )

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 7 15:17:54 PDT 2005

On Jul 7, 2005, at 3:52 pm, David Flory wrote:

>> "(3) Knowingly and without permission uses or causes to be used
>> computer services."
>
> ... Section 3 that I quoted is very specific plain English. If you
> don't have permission to use "a computer or computer network" don't
> use it.

The defendant asked for permission to use the network when he requested
an IP address via DHCP broadcast. The router gave him an IP address and
offered itself as a gateway; the defendant then asked the router to
forward his packets to the internet for him. It would be trivial for
the router to have denied any of these requests, so it clearly and
expressly gave him permission.

> An analogy: If you see a car with the keys in the ignition, even with
> the engine running, is it an invitation to drive it to the market?
> Some think so, but they still get booked into jail.

Another dumb analogy: you go to the bank & request a withdrawal and are
given the funds, but it turns out you don't have an account there. You
are arrested for theft.

Analogies are just another way to dumb down the argument so it
demonstrates your point of view.

> If the legislature wants to change the law, great, but as it stands
> now use of your, or my, wireless network, without getting our
> permission is a violation of the California Penal Code.

Not so. California Penal Code does not apply here in the UK where my
wireless network is located, nor does it apply in Florida, where the
defendant was arrested.

Although use of a wireless network without getting permission may in
California be a violation of the local Penal Code, it is not clear
whether the permission of an individual is needed, or whether the
permission granted electronically by the access-point is sufficient.
The legislature's intervention is not required - precedent has
apparently not will established this detail, but may do so; unless you
are a California judge presently closing on a case of this nature, you
are not qualified to say "use of my wireless network without getting
[my] permission is a violation of the California Penal Code".

Stroller.