[X4U] Man arrested for using Open Wireless network (was Re: Wireless "theft" )

Ted Burton egburton at cableone.net
Thu Jul 7 16:10:41 PDT 2005

At 11:17 PM +0100 on 7/7/05, Stroller spoke about Re: [X4U] Man
arrested for using Open Wireless network (was thusly:

>The defendant asked for permission to use the network when he
>requested an IP address via DHCP broadcast. The router gave him an
>IP address and offered itself as a gateway; the defendant then asked
>the router to forward his packets to the internet for him. It would
>be trivial for the router to have denied any of these requests, so
>it clearly and expressly gave him permission.

Interesting.

Of course, a router is not a human intelligence, nor is it
deliberately appointed by  its owner to give away value belonging to
its owner. It is rather like a robot in that regard, knowing only
what it is manufactured and configured to do. I would not myself wish
people to obtain access to my living room to watch television on my
television set because someday a robot that can open the door and let
people in has not been taught how not to do that.
--

I am a Christian Democrat.
Jesus Christ was a Jew, and a Liberal.