[X4U] Man arrested for using Open Wireless network (was Re: Wireless "theft" )

David Flory daflory at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 7 16:14:21 PDT 2005

On Jul 7, 2005, at 3:17 PM, Stroller wrote:

>  unless you are a California judge presently closing on a case of
> this nature, you are not qualified to say "use of my wireless
> network without getting [my] permission is a violation of the
> California Penal Code".

Perhaps not, but I have been involved in a couple of cases like this
and know the way a couple of judges here have ruled on this law. With
all respect, I'd say you're less in a position to say it's _not_ a
violation of Ca. Penal Code.

I have no idea what the Florida code says. I know that the FBI and SS
don't take this  stuff lightly. I worked on a case with the SS where
kids were using a laptop connected to a pay phone to Phreak and
access phone switches and other Unix boxes. there's no question in my
mind what would happen if you or I got caught doing that. These
stupid teenagers were "innocent seekers after knowledge", (my
personal opinion after spending days talking with them) not malicious
tinkerers or destructors of data, but they cost literally millions of
dollars to the phone companies whose switches they accessed. The
companies couldn't afford to just believe they didn't plant any
sleeper software. They had to wipe the computers and reinstall all
the software, a big job, in hundreds of places and even in foreign
countries.
--
Speak softly, study Aikido, & you won't need to carry a big stick!
See my photos @ <http://homepage.mac.com/dflory>