[X4U] Double Apps in "Open With" menu

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 8 11:33:27 PDT 2005

On 7/8/05 9:30 AM, Stroller <MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2005, at 4:55 pm, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:
>
>> On 7/8/05 6:49 AM, Nick Scalise <nickscalise at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> James S Jones posted the solution to your issue back in February:
>>>
>>> <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?
>>> story=20031215144430486&query=How+to+r ebuild+the+LaunchServices+database>
>>
>> I didn't start having this problem until after I upgraded to Tiger.  Since
>> this hint was in January 2004, I'm unsure if it works in Tiger. Can  anyone
>> confirm that this Terminal command still works as described in 10.4.1 without
>> any side effects?
>
> I f you can suggest any possible side effects I'd be interested to
> discuss them. Mr Jones states that "just calling lsregister by itself
> will show some explanation", so please quote that explanation when
> indicating how running the command could malignly break your system.

I'm loathe to use Terminal tricks unless I know that they've been used on
the same version of OS X I'm using. A number of changes have been made under
the hood between 10.3 and 10.4 and that page had no information from anyone
using it with 10.4. So my question remains: is this okay to do in 10.4? I
don't know what possible side effects could occur, that's why I'm asking. If
someone came forward and said, 'due to 10.4's new mds and mdimport
functions, you shouldn't use lsregister to do this' then I'd certainly be
reluctant to try this. If someone can tell me that resetting the global
Launch Services database using the aformentioned configuration of lsregister
solved their problem in 10.4 without causing anything bad to happen, I'll
follow their lead.

Eddie Hargreaves