[X4U] 4-Bay Firewire Enclosures?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jul 10 09:38:52 PDT 2005

At 8:53 AM -0500 7/10/05, Steve Martin wrote:
>On Jul 10, 2005, at 12:14 AM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

>>http://www.sureneeds.com/sureneeds/satabay4bk.html
>
>Not firewire.

No, but that could potentially be used to build something
interesting, I'm actually interested in it for future uses.

>I used to have link to a 2-drive firewire enclosure, but the one I
>had the power supply failed so I can't recommend them.
>
>Here is a hot swap setup, not cheap though...
>
>http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/pg26_firewireidehotswapdrive.htm#btn_sale_hotswapfwcase
>
>I would probably just buy 4 cheap firewire enclosures that stack
>neatly and daisy chain them.

I've thought of that, but in the long run it starts costing more.
With a 4-bay enclosure with trays, you can have a bunch of extra
trays with HD's in them, and at that point the cost starts dropping.

OTOH, the Granite Digital single drive bay while it looks
interesting, isn't cheap.

I've found one device like I'm looking for with two Oxford 911
firewire boards in it (which would mean worrying about Master/Slave
settings on the drives I believe).  It's only FW400, but like I'd
said, I'm more concerned about cost with this, than I am about speed,
as it's going to primarily be used for backups.  It would cost just
about $210 with 4 sleds, and each additional drive sled is
$18.50-22.00.

			Zane