[X4U] Spotlight - Searching For An Exact String

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Jul 11 17:33:47 PDT 2005

revDAVE said:

>... But if I search for "Woody Allen" in quotes ... I would expect to find
>the exact  name of the ACTOR/director...
>
>So - I am wondering if we can get either spot light or the apple find
>command in Tiger to perform the same way with content searches.

It is as yet undocumented by Apple, but you can indeed do Boolean
searches with Spotlight.

|      = OR
space  = AND

Groucho|Harpo Chico(-Zeppo)
gives you a search for Groucho OR Harpo, AND Chico, but excludes
instances in which Zeppo appears.

Apple intends to make Boolean searching much easier in future versions of
OS X, which is why they haven't even mentioned this capability yet.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html