[X4U] Spotlight - Searching For An Exact String

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 11 23:46:50 PDT 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 2:33 AM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> It is as yet undocumented by Apple, but you can indeed do Boolean
> searches with Spotlight.
>

> (-...) = NOT
> |      = OR
> space  = AND

It's undocumented because it doesn't work. I've been writing a lot
about Spotlight, and was interested when I saw this stuff on the web.
I contacted someone at Apple who handles Spotlight, and he said that
this sort of gives the kind of hits you describe sometimes, but this
is not how it works.

I just did, for example, a search for:

moby | walden

I have several electronic copies of Walden on my computer, which I
use for searching and examples in books and articles. It found moby
alone (a recent article I wrote about Melville) but when I ran the
above search, found nothing.
If I search walden alone, it finds more than 100 hits.

The AND works, because, by default, all Spotlight searches (other
than those in quotes) are AND searches.

Kirk
           Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
                      http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
        Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France