[X4U] Safari Not Working Consistently

Vince Lewis vplewis at mac.com
Sat Jul 16 13:51:27 PDT 2005

On Jul 16, 2005, at 1:02 PM, Kunga wrote:

> That sounds very complicated Vince. I don't want to create a new
> user. Is there a preference file that is corrupted I can delete to
> fix it? If so which one where?

>> On Jul 16, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Kunga wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone else having a Safari stall problem? At first launch it
>>> changes from site to site but shortly thereafter it won't go
>>> anywhere. My internet connection is fine. Is this a new feature
>>> of the new 10.4.2 Safari?

>> On Jul 16, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Vince Lewis wrote:
>>
>> I had the same problem on my G4 Pbook, but not on the G5. Another
>> user on the Powerbook didn't have the problem, so I concluded that
>> it was a preference setting gone awry. Rather than troubleshooting
>> in detail--I'd already done the usual tricks (cache flushing,
>> etc.)--I just created a new user, moved my data files over and
>> deleted the problem user. Back to working fine.

Not so complicated. First, do a complete backup with CCC--it works
again in 10.4.2. Then just make a new folder in /Users/Shared, move
everything you want to keep to that folder, go to System Preferences--
 >Accounts and make a new user (I changed my short name from "vl" to
"v") move your data to your new user, delete the old one, repair
permissions, and away you go. I keep 25GB of iTunes in the /Shared
folder anyway, so that's a big chunk that doesn't have to be moved.
Took less than 10 minutes--not counting the backup which I was doing
anyway.
So in answer to your question about preference files, all I can say
is that it's definitely inside ~/Library since I didn't do anything
to /Library.
ciao,
Vince