[X4U] Safari Not Working Consistently

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Jul 16 18:17:21 PDT 2005

On 07/16/05, Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org> wrote:
> That sounds very complicated Vince. I don't want to create a new
> user.

How so? It only takes a minute or so to create a new admin account, log
into it, and see if that fixes your problem. If it does, then, yes, it
takes some time to copy the data files and things like /Music, /Pictures,
etc. from the old to the new and reset your preferences. If not, then it's
a system-wide problem and most would advise that you reinstall the latest
OS X Combo updater and see if that fixes things.

> Is there a preference file that is corrupted I can delete to
> fix it? If so which one where?

Normally, it's one associated with the application you're having problems
with (such as these for Safari: com.apple.Safari.plist or
com.apple.java.JavaPreferences.plist , or it can be a cache problem) or it
could be one associated with the Finder, window server, system, etc. Get
Preferential Treatment from the usual sources and see if can find any
damaged/corrupted ones. Also, try emptying Safari's cache, deleting the
~/Library/Safari/Icons directory, or resetting Safari. See
<http://www.apple.com/support/safari/> for more help.

Your only other option is to manually remove a few at a time from your
Prefeences directory, log out, log back in, and see if that fixes the
problem. This could be very time-consuming and trying-trouble-shooting is
always a pain.

Oh, before I close, you could do nothing and live with the problem.