[X4U] Scanning woes: Canon N67OU working strange

Germain M. affaires at vif.com
Sat Jul 16 20:56:58 PDT 2005

Hello to the list,

A friend of mine gave me a Canon N67OU, which is marked as a Windows
and Macintosh scanner. The installation CD contains the ScanGear CS
driver for OS9. I use a scanner mostly for OCR. I need to OCR once a
month for work. I also donwloaded from the Canon website the ScanGear
CS 7.0X driver for OSX. Here are tje woes...

I have OmniPage Pro for Classic and X. On Classic, OmniPage Pro SE
which is on the Canon CD installation cannot communicate with the
scanner, the dirver is nt even recognized in the prefs pane. But
ScanGear Toolbox recognizes the driver and gives the command to the
scanner.

If I try to OCR with OmniPage Pro X, the app won't see the X driver
which is a PShop plug-in. It prompts you to work under Classic then.
OmniPage X will OCR tiff images though.

It is often mentioned of the twain interface and driver. Twain is
nowhere to be found on the HD. So how to OCR directly from OmniPage
Pro. Or another program for that matter. It has to be french though.
I head of TextBridge Pro. Is there another one? Also the ScanGear CS
7.0X PHsop plug-in works one out of three times. What is wrong with
scanning in Tiger? Seems so difficult. Does it mean I will have to
buy a new scanner at a dedicated Apple Store. Also, the scanner
connects thorugh the USB port. Instruciton manual reads 2.5 watts in
operation, 1.25 watts stand-by. Is it sucking alot of power from the
iMac? Help please, I'm lost

Germain

iMac G5/1.8 mhz/512 ram
Tiger 10.4.1 french