[X4U] Good Reading

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Jul 18 13:44:34 PDT 2005

On Jul 18, 2005, at 5:54 pm, Michael Winter wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2005, at 11:24 AM, SW wrote:
>>
>> What is going to cost you less.... losing a day or a day and a half
>> wiping and reinstalling things, or the the money for a new computer
>> already (partially) set up?
>>
>> This may lead to a different conclusion if  you are paid a lot of
>> money for your time.
>
> The only time saved is the time it takes to erase the drive and
> install the OS. I'd estimate less than an hour to get to "factory"
> condition. Compare this with the time to select, purchase and set up
> new hardware. Either way you have to re-install all apps etc. I don't
> see any time saved by buying a new computer.

About half of my work is fixing PCs for home users - the other half
being fixing them for small businesses. What you're not accounting for
is that the average home user simply isn't comfortable reinstalling
Windows - many don't even know how to back up their photos to CD!

Installing Windows XP can easily take a couple of hours, especially on
systems a year or two old - many PCs are _still_ sold with 256meg or
less of RAM - and that's not counting Office, Service Pack 2, internet
setup, accounts for the kids &c &c.  If I can take the computer home &
leave it running - I back-up the whole hard-drive and install any
additional software in addition to the above - I tend to charge the
full job out at a fixed price of 3 hours work or £114.

There are so many factors that come into this, it hard to surmise, but
for machines of more than 2 years old replacement may not be a bad
upgrade. In the last year, since I've been doing this, I've discovered
that I absolutely hate working on anything without Windows XP and
almost anything less than a Pentium 4 - it bugs me when people spend
money on fixing hardware that is worth less than my time.

Stroller.