[X4U] Directory Failure

Daniel Beck danielbeck at mac.com
Mon Jul 18 17:22:25 PDT 2005

My wife blew the circuit breaker and the G5 shut down. When I came
home, I fired it up, but it froze after booting. I shut it down by
holding down the power key. After that, it refused to boot. It gets
past the system folder icon, but then the spinning symbol just keeps
spinning.

I ran the Hardware test but it kept interrupting the test saying that
it was canceled by the user (not). I then booted from the install CD
and ran Disk Utility. I tried to repair the disk, but got an error
message.

I then tried running DiskWarrior to rebuild the directory. It keeps
choking on step five which checks the directory.

I haven't had much time to do much checking, but when I boot from my
FireWire drive, the folders seem to be intact. But, again, I haven't
checked too carefully. Any advice on how I should proceed from here?
Unfortunately, I didn't have a complete backup. In fact, there are
quite a number of iTunes Store downloads not backed up, and quite a
number of photos.

Anyway, any advice is welcome.

Daniel